Mythily Srinivasan, BDS, MDS, PhD
Phone (317) 278-9686
Fax (317) 278-3018
Secretary (317) 274-5141
Laboratory (317) 278-9687
Indiana University School of Dentistry
1121 West Michigan Street
Indianapolis, Indiana 46202-5186
Mythily Srinivasan received Bachelor of Dental Surgery from Government Dental College and Hospital, Nagpur, India. After completing post-graduate training in Oral Pathology and Microbiology, she joined the doctoral program in Microbiology and Immunology at the Ohio State University. She conducted an interdisciplinary research on peptide therapeutics and autoimmune disease under the mentorship of Dr. Pravin Kaumaya and Dr. Caroline Whitacre respectively and received her PhD in 2001. After completing post-doctoral training in Pathology, she was recruited to the Department of Oral Pathology, Medicine and Radiology at the Indiana University of School of Dentistry in November 2002.
Dr. Srinivasan’s research focuses on two broad areas:
Recent Immunomodulation Publications
2. Srinivasan M and Janardhanam S: Novel p65 binding GILZ peptide suppresses experimental autoimmune encephalomyelitis. Journal of Biological Chemistry, 2011:286, (52), 44799–44810.
3. Dudhgaonkar SD., Kodumudi KN, Janardhanam SB and Srinivasan M: CD80 blockade enhance GILZ expression and suppress experimental autoimmune encephalomyelitis. Journal of Immunology: 2009; 183:7505-7513.
4. Srinivasan M and Summerlin DJ: Modulation of the colonic epithelial cell responses and amelioration of inflammation by CD80 blockade in TNBS colitis. Clinical Immunology 2009; 133-411-422.
5. O'Malley JT, Eri RD, Stritesky GL, Mathur AN, Chang HC, Hogenesch H, Srinivasan M, Kaplan MH. STAT4 isoforms differentially regulate Th1 cytokine production and the severity of inflammatory bowel disease. J Immunol. 2008 Oct 1;181(7):5062-70.
6. Eri R, Kodumudi KN, Srinivasan M*. (2007) A CD80-binding peptide suppresses inflammation in two murine models of inflammatory bowel disease. Inflammatory Bowel Diseases. 2008 Apr;14(4):458-70.
7. Eri R, Kodumudi KN, Srinivasan M*. (2008) A CD80-binding peptide suppresses inflammation in two murine models of inflammatory bowel disease. Inflamm Bowel Dis. 14(4):458-70.
8. Srinivasan M (2007): Th1 Cells in health and disease in “Effect of CD4+ T cells in health and disease” Editors: Songquing Na and C.V. Iyer; Transworld research Work.Vol1, Chapter 4, 85-116.
9. Mythily Srinivasan, Rajaraman Eri, Susan L Zunt, Summerlin Don-John, David D. Brand, and Janice S. Blum (2007). Suppression of collagen induced arthritis by rationally designed CD80-binding peptide agent. Arthritis and Rheumatism. Feb;56(2):498-508.
10. Chen M, Deng A, Crowson AN, Srinivasan M, Yearsley KH, Jewell S, Morrison C, Long S, Werling R, Magro C. Assessment of T-cell clonality via T-cell receptor-gamma rearrangements in cutaneous T-cell-dominant infiltrates using polymerase chain reaction and single-stranded DNA conformational polymorphism assay. Appl Immunohistochem Mol Morphol. 2004 Dec;12(4):373-9.
11. Srinivasan M*, Eri R, Haque, Md, Brand D, Blum JS (2005): CD80 binding polyproline helical peptides inhibit T cell activation. Journal of Biological Chemistry. Vol. 280, No. 11, 10149–10155.
12. Srinivasan M, Roeske R (2005). Immunomodulatory peptides from the complementarity determining regions of the immunoglobulin supergene family proteins- A Review. Current Protein and Peptide Science, Volume 6; issue 2: 185-196.
13. Srinivasan M, Gienapp IE, Stuckman SS, Rogers CC, Kaumaya PTP, Whitacre CC. 2002. Suppression of Experimental Autoimmune Encephalomyelitis by CD28 peptide mimics. Journal of Immunology, 169(4)2180-88.
14. Scott D. Jewell, Srinivasan M, Linda M. McCart, Nita Williams, William H. Grizzle, Virginia LiVolsi, Greg MacLennan, and Daniel D. Sedmak. (2002) Analysis of the Molecular Quality of Human Tissues: An Experience from the Cooperative Human Tissue Network CHTN. American Journal of Clinical Pathology, 118 (5) 1-8.
15. Srinivasan M, Sedmak D, Jewell SD. (2002). Molecular quality of tissues for research- an overview for Prospective Investigators. American Journal of Pathology, 161 (6) 1961-71.
16. Srinivasan M, Wardrop RM, Gienapp IE, Stuckman SS, Whitacre CC, Kaumaya PTP 2001. A retro-inverso CD28 peptide encompassing “MYPPPY” adopts a PP II helix and inhibits encephalitogenic T cells in vitro. Journal of Immunology, 67(1) 578-85.
17. Srinivasan M, Wardrop RM, Whitacre CC, Kaumaya PTP. 1999. A CD28 CDR-3 peptide analog inhibits CD4+ T cell proliferation in vitro. In Fields,G.B., Tam, J.P., Baraby,G. (eds) Peptides for the New Millennnium. Kluwer,Netherlands, 589-90.
18. Kaumaya PTP, Whitacre CC, Srinivasan M. Peptide therapy for T-cell mediated immune responses. The Ohio State University (pending approval).
19. Srinivasan M: Novel CD80 binding peptides to inhibit T cell responses. Indiana University. Provisional Patent filing: April 2004. Final patent filing April 2005 (Pending approval).
20. Srinivasan M: GILZ mimics for autoimmune diseases [Provisional patent-Under discussion-(March 2011)]
Recent Salivary Diagnostics Research Publications
2. Zunt SL, Janardhanam S, Srinivasan M: Differential expression of TLR-2 and TLR-4 in the epithelial cells in oral lichen planus. Archives of Oral Biology, 2012: 57, 495-502.
3. Srinivasan M and Galli DM: Aggregatibacter actinomycetemcomitans modulates toll like receptors 2 and 4 in gingival epithelial cells in a mouse periodontitis model. Journal of the International Clinical Dental Research Organization, 2010: Volume 2, (1), 24-29.
4. Zunt SL, Burton LV, Goldblatt LI, Dobbins EE, Srinivasan M. Soluble forms of Toll-like receptor 4 are present in human saliva and modulate tumour necrosis factor-alpha secretion by macrophage-like cells. Clin Exp Immunol. 2009 May;156(2):285-93.
5. Srinivasan M , Kodumudi KN, Zunt SL. (2007). Soluble CD14 and toll-like receptor-2 are potential salivary biomarkers for oral lichen planus and burning mouth syndrome. Jan;126(1):31-7.
6. Largura B, Zunt SL, Srinivasan M (2006). Quantitiative estimation of TLR-2 and TLR-4 in oral epithelium from different sites of oral cavity. JDR:S196
7. Srinivasan M, Sedmak D, Jewell SD (2002). Molecular quality of tissues for research- an overview for Prospective Investigators. American Journal of Pathology, 161 (6) 1961-71.
8. Scott D. Jewell, Srinivasan M, Linda M. McCart, Nita Williams, William H. Grizzle, Virginia LiVolsi, Greg MacLennan, and Daniel D. Sedmak (2002). Analysis of the Molecular Quality of Human Tissues: An Experience from the Cooperative Human Tissue Network CHTN. American Journal of Clinical Pathology, 118 (5) 1-8.
9. Srinivasan M, Jewell SD. 2001. Quantitative estimation of PCNA, c-myc, EGFR and TGF-? in oral submucous fibrosis – An immunohistochemical study. Oral Oncology 37, 61-67.
10. Srinivasan M, Jewell SD.2001. Evaluation of TGF-? and EGFR Expression In Oral Leukoplakia And Oral Submucous Fibrosis By Quantitative Immunohistochemistry. Oncology, 61 (4) 284-92.
11.Srinivasan M Hazarey VK. 1991. Role of Anxiety in Oral Lichen Planus: Dental Dialogue 3, 16-19.