Campus visionary Maynard K. Hine is the force behind naming of IUPUI academic building

Dr. Maynard K. Hine
Dr. Maynard K. Hine

The Indiana University Board of Trustees has approved the request to name the conference center portion of the former University Place Conference Center and Hotel after Dr. Maynard K. Hine, Indiana University-Purdue University Indianapolis’ first chancellor and a true campus visionary. The academic building will be named Hine Hall.

In 1944, Hine joined the IU School of Dentistry as professor and chairman of the Department of Oral Histopathology and Periodontics. The next year, he was appointed dean of the school and served until 1968. During his tenure as dean, he recruited outstanding faculty, and the school excelled in such academic and research programs as clinical dentistry and materials science. In 1968, he began working with Mayor Richard Lugar, IU President Joseph L. Sutton, Purdue President Frederick L. Hovde and other forward-thinking community leaders to establish IUPUI in 1969. That year, Hine was appointed chancellor of the campus, a position he served until 1973.

More details about Dr. Hine and the new Hine Hall are available in this Dec. 13, 2012, IU Communications news release.

Dec. 14, 2012