Ph.D. Program Application Process
To apply to the Indiana University School of Dentistry Ph.D. program, you will use the¬†University Online Graduate Application.¬†
Directions for Applying Online
Access the¬†University Online Application.¬†¬† Click on the apply now link on the left hand side of the screen.¬†¬†
If you already have an IU ten digit University ID number, please click the log in guest/network ID, type in your user ID and passphrase and proceed with the online application..
If you do not have an IU ten digit University ID number, please click on the create new guest account, create a guest account and proceed with the online application.
On the Application Selection page for: "What are your academic intentions at IUPUI":¬† ¬† Click on "To apply to a degree or graduate certificate program."
To select the correct intended program and plan, please read the following carefully.
What type of degree do you intent to pursue?:¬†¬†PhD
Academic Program:¬†¬†¬†Dentistry (IU Graduate School)
Academic Plan:¬†¬†¬†Dental Science PhD
When do you wish to enroll in Program?¬†¬†Fall 2016
The Ph.D. application deadline is January 15, 20146
The personal statement should be up to 500 words in length and can be uploaded to the online application.¬† Indicate why you are interested in¬†the PhD program.¬† Outline your professional goals; immediate and long term.¬†¬† In your personal statement, it is imperative that you cite your sources, if you include any statements or quotes that are not your original thought.¬† All personal statements are submitted to www.turnitin.com to ensure originality and proper citation.
Supplemental materials listed below need to be sent directly to the IUSD Office of Graduate Education:
Office of Graduate Education¬†
Indiana University School of Dentistry
1121 W Michigan Street
Indianapolis, IN¬†¬† 46202
US Applicants:¬† A US citizen whose secondary education was in the US.
Three letters of recommendation.¬†¬†¬† Please include three evaluator names and email addressses¬†on the online University application.¬†¬† Your evaluators will be sent an e-evaluation form to fill out and return electronically.
Official transcripts from all university/colleges attended.
The GRE is not required for applicants who have a graduate or professional degree from a U.S. college or university.¬†¬†¬† If you applying to the combined PhD/DDS program, the DAT¬†exam can be subsituted for the GRE.¬† All other applicants¬†will be required to submit official scores from the GRE taken within the past 5 years.¬† ¬†When submitting your GRE scores, use IUPUI school code 1325.¬† Information on GRE scoring is below.
Official National Board scores (if completed)
A current Curriculum Vitae (CV).¬† A CV is a type of resume, most often used in academia that provides a summary of one's personal accomplishments, goals, professional achievements, employment history, research projects and publications.
International Applicants:¬† A US citizen, permanent resident (green card), refugee, political asylee whose secondary education was¬†outside of the US¬†or a¬†non-US citizen whose secondary education was outside and/or in the US.
- School Certification of Disciplinary History Form
- Supplemental Question Form¬†
- Three letters of recommendation.¬† Please include three evaluator names and email addresses on the online University application.¬† Your evaluators will be sent an e-evaluation form to fill out and return electronically.
- Official transcripts, including work already completed and work currently in progress.¬† The records should show a complete list of courses taken, grades received and any diplomas or certificates earned.¬† Transcripts should also indicate the number of credits awarded for each course or the number of hours of classroom, lecture, and laboratory and include information about the school's grading scale.
- If the original documents are not in English, a verified translation must be sent with your official transcripts in your native language.
- Educational Credential Evaluators (ECE) Course-by-Course Report.¬† Send all international transcripts to ECE, PO Box 514070, Milwaukee, WI¬† 53203-3470.¬† We will also accept copies of this report.
- If English is not your native language, you must demonstrate proficiency in English before you are admitted.¬† TOEFL scores of 550+ (paper version/PBT) or 213+ (computer based version/CBT) or a minimum score of 79+ internet based version/iBT is required.¬† IUPUI's school code for the TOEFL is 1325. A grade of 6.5 or higher on the Cambridge International English Language Testing System (IELTS) is also acceptable.¬†
- The GRE is not required for applicants who have a graduate or professional degree from a U.S. college or university.¬†¬†¬† If you applying to the combined PhD/DDS program, the DAT¬†exam can be subsituted for the GRE.¬† All other applicants¬†will be required to submit official scores from the GRE taken within the past 5 years.¬† ¬†When submitting your GRE scores, use IUPUI school code 1325. ¬†Information on GRE scoring is below.
- A completed Financial Support Agreement form from each sponsor and all required supporting documentation.
- A current Curriculum Vitae (CV).¬† A CV is a type of resume, most often used in academia that provides a summary of one's personal accomplishments, goals, professional achievements,¬†employment history, research projects and publications.¬†¬†
¬†The following GRE scores are expected of applicants to the PhD program:
Verbal and Quantiative:¬† Minimum score of 160 on the¬†verbal or 148 on the¬†quantitative reason sections¬†¬†
Anaytical Writing:¬†¬† Minimum score of 3.0.
GRE Scores Reported
GRE¬ģ revised General Test
|Verbal Reasoning||130 ‚Äď 170, in 1 point increments|
|Quantitative Reasoning||130 ‚Äď 170, in 1 point increments|
|Analytical Writing||0 ‚Äď 6, in half point increments|
GRE¬ģ General Test (tests taken prior to August 1, 2011)
|Verbal Reasoning||200 ‚Äď 800, in 10-point increments|
|Quantitative Reasoning||200 ‚Äď 800, in 10-point increments|
|Analytical Writing||0 ‚Äď 6, in half-point increments|
If no questions are answered for a specific measure (e.g., Verbal Reasoning), then you will receive a No Score (NS) for that measure.