Department of Preventive and Community Dentistry
Our goal as a¬†department at Indiana University School of Dentistry is to build off of Indiana's longstanding history of leadership in preventive dentistry.¬†¬†Our¬†research¬†and educational programs are primarily focused on the etiology, diagnosis, and prevention of dental caries and erosion. Through the Oral Health Research Institute we also support a wide range of research including studies on anti-plaque and anti-gingivitis agents, anti-calculus agents, stain prevention and removal agents, and whitening/bleaching agents.
To improve the oral health of Indiana's citizens as well as the broader national and world community by advancing knowledge through discoveries and improvements focused on the prevention and cure of dental disease and the maintenance of health.
- To be recognized by our academic peers and industry as the leading center for oral health research nationally and internationally.
- To be preeminent in the education of future dentists that provide preventive oriented care that is based on the latest scientific evidence.
- To provide an environment that is highly supportive of the training and mentoring of dental scientists.
- To become recognized as an informational resource for private practitioners in the community.
- To be recognized by the community as essential for the improvement and maintenance of the community's oral health.