Indiana Dental College (IDC) Timeline *


1900 - 1914

YearEvents
1900


Admission Requirements for the Dental College: two years of  high school or an equivalent exam.


Delta Sigma Delta and Psi Omega fraternities establish chapters at the Indiana Dental College.


Dr. John Hurty begins to study the effect of fluorine on the hardness of enamel and notes the importance of this relationship.

Copy_of_JohnHurty_small.jpg

1902


Students entering this year can graduate in three years; those entering after this year must attend for four years (see 1903 below).


Indiana Dental Law now defines an accredited school as one that is a member of the National Association of Dental Faculties.

1903


New four-year curriculum adopted, but three-year curriculum is re-established by National Association of Dental Faculties and re-adopted by Indiana Dental College.

1904


First student yearbook, Prognosis, is published.

1905


Enrollment increases due to closing of the Central College of Dentistry (est. 1897).

Copy_of_Copy_of_CentralCollege_small.jpg

1906


Tuition rises to $150.

1908


Dr. Alice Harvie Duden is the first female lecturer at the school; her topic: "Oral Prophylaxis."


Dental Faculties Association of American Universities is formed to promote dental education by resisting proprietary control of dental schools.

1909


Dental Education Council of America is established to elevate standards of Dental Schools and to create cooperation between the National Association of Dental Examiners and the National Association of Dental Faculties.  It later includes the National Dental Association


A Department of Roentgenology is established at Indiana Dental College after the purchase of X-ray equipment.

1910


A football team is formed (with short-lived interest).

1911


Entrance requirement is raised from three to four years of high school or an equivalent exam.


New legislation requires applicants for dental license to have a diploma from an accredited dental college.


Dr. John Hurty, secretary of the Indiana State Board of Health, establishes a program of preventive dentistry for children.

Copy_of_JohnHurty_small.jpg

1914

Indiana Dental College moves to a building at southwest corner of North and Meridian streets.

1912loc_small.jpg


The School's first Library and Reading Room opens.


Dr. George Edwin Hunt dies. His widow retains ownership of the Indiana Dental College.


Upon the death of Dr. Hunt, Dr. F. R. Henshaw assumes responsibilites as dean.

Copy_of_FHenshaw1_small.jpg

            *Source: IndianaUniversity School of Dentistry Alumni Bulletin, v. 10 no. 4, Spring 1996

[Back to IDC 1890-1899]    [Back to Special Collections]    [Next to IDC 1915-1924]