GI Bill Process

Getting Started: Apply

To receive GI Bill educational benefits, follow these steps:

  1. Complete an application for GI Bill benefits online
    1. The VA will need 8 to 10 weeks to process this application.
    2. Questions regarding entitlement/eligibility should be directed to 1-888-GIBill1 (1-888-442-4551).
    3. If you have received benefits at a prior school you must submit a Change of Place of Training Form (VA 22-1995) on the VA application website (VONAPP).
  2. Visit the IUSD VA Certifying Officer located in the Graduate Education Office (DS 280B).  Be sure to bring:
    1. A copy of your DD-214 Member 4 form
    2. Notice of Basic Eligibility, DD form 2384 (for Reservists and National Guard members)
    3. Kicker Incentive Contract (if eligible)
    4. Certificate of Eligibility (if application for benefits has already been submitted and approved by VA)
  3. The IUSD VA Certifying Official will then file the claim with the Regional Processing Office in St Louis. Claims for VA Voc Rehab will be sent to the VA Voc Rehab counselor for processing.  Enrollment certifications will be processed each term (fall, spring and summer).
  4. Payments for all GI Bill benefits will be sent via direct deposit if account information was provided.  If your address has changed you must notify the VA immediately at 1-888-GIBill1 (1-888-442-4551).
  5. Even though you may be eligible for GI Bill benefits, it is still your responsibility to insure that your Bursar bill is paid.
  6. Payments will mailed or directly deposited after the close of each month.
    1. Chapter 30, 1606 and 1607 must verify their enrollment with the VA via WAVE or by calling 1-877-VA-E-CERT (1-877-823-2378). Payment will be issued within 3 to 5 business days of verification.
    2. Chapter 31 will be automatically sent at the close of each month. Checks will be mailed unless Direct Deposit has been set up specifically for Chapter 31 benefits.
  7. For additional questions or information, feel free to contact the IUSD Certifying Official at  or 317-274-5348.
  8. If your address is changed, you will need to contact both the Regional Processing Office with the VA at 1-888-GIBill1 (1-888-442-4551) as well as the IUSD VA Certifying Official.