E. Angeles MartÃnez Mier, DDS, MSD, PhD
Professor and Chair, Department of Cariology, Operative Dentistry and Dental Public Health
Director, Binational/Cross-Culture Health Enhancement Center
Phone Â (317) 278-1386Â
FaxÂ Â Â Â Â Â (317) 278-1834
Indiana University School of DentistryÂ
415 Lansing St., Indianapolis, IN 46202-2876
E. Angeles MartÃnez Mier, DDS, MSD, PhD is a Professor (tenured) in theÂ Department of Cariology, Operative Dentistry and Dental Public Health atÂ Indiana University School of Dentistry. She serves as department chair and director ofÂ theÂ Binational/Cross-Cultural Health Enhancement Center. Dr. MartÃnez Mier previously held the positions of Preventive Dentistry Department Chair and Coordinator of undergraduate periodontics at the Universidad Intercontinental in Mexico City, Mexico. After receiving her dental degree from the Universidad Nacional Autonoma de Mexico, in Mexico City, Mexico, in 1989, Dr. MartÃnez Mier completed a Masters of Science in Dentistry, majoring in Preventive Dentistry at Indiana University School of Dentistry, in 1994; and a three-year clinical fellowship in Periodontics, also at the Indiana University School of Dentistry in 1995. She then obtained a PhD in Dental Sciences in 2000 from Indiana University. Dr. MartÃnez is the past president of the Indiana Chapter of the Hispanic Dental Association and is a member of the International Association of Dental Research, the American Dental Education Association, the American Association of Public Health Dentistry and the European Organization for Caries Research.
- Soto-Rojas AE, Martinez-Mier EA. Self-directed lectures for fluoride toxicity. Quick Hits:Â Teaching with Technology. Accepted for publication in Quick Hits for Teaching with Technology Successful Strategies by Award-Winning Teachers. Edited by Morgan RK and Olivares KT. Contributing Editors Dixson MD, Gavrin AD, Morrone MC, Lafuze JE, and Morrone AS, Foreword by McRobbie MA. Indiana University Press 2012.
- Soto-Rojas AE, Martinez-Mier EA, Meadows ML and Hatcher JL. Increasing Cultural Competence of Dental Students through Participation in an International Service-Learning Program. Service-Learning in Higher Education: Educators, Communities, and Students To be edited by: Phylis Lan Lin, University Press, Indianapolis IN USA 2011, 2010, 321-33.
- Kahn HE, Stelzner SM, Riner ME, Soto-Rojas AE, Henkle EJ, Veras-Godoy HA, AntÃ³n de la Concha JL, Martinez-Mier EA. Use of Online Technologies in an International, Multidisciplinary, Service-Learning Program. In Service-eLearning: Educating for Citizenship Edited by: Amber Dailey-Hebert, Emily Donnelli Sallee, Laurie N. DiPadova-Stocks. Information Age Publishing. Charlotte NC USA 2008, 95-100.
- Litwinko C, Wilds R, Stelzner S, Villanueva Cruz I, MartÃnez-Mier EA, Henkle EJ. Utilization of Asset Based Community Development (ABCD) in Calnali, Mexico: An International Application of ABCDÂ In Service-Learning in Higher Education: Paradigms and Challenges Edited by: Mary Moore and Phylis Lan Lin, University Press, Indianapolis IN USA 2008, 379-390.
- Puranik CP, Ryan KA, Yin Z, Martinez-Mier EA, Preisser JS, Everett ET. Fluoride Modulates Parathyroid Hormone Secretion in vivo and in vitro. Cells Tissues Organs. 2015 Sep 19. [Epub ahead of print] PubMed PMID: 26381618.
- Creeth JE, Kelly SA, Martinez-Mier EA, Hara AT, Bosma ML, Butler A, Lynch RJ, Zero DT. Dose-response effect of fluoride dentifrice on remineralisation and further demineralisation of erosive lesions: A randomised in situ clinical study. J Dent. 2015 Jul;43(7):823-31
- Alhawij H, Lippert F, Martinez-Mier EA. Relative fluoride response of caries lesions created in fluorotic and sound teeth studied under remineralizing conditions. J Dent. 2015 Jan;43(1):103-9.
- Lippert F, Hara AT, Martinez-Mier EA, Zero DT. Laboratory investigations into the potential anticaries efficacy of fluoride varnishes. Pediatr Dent. 2014 Jul-Aug;36(4):291-5.
- Lippert F, Martinez-Mier EA, Zero DT. An in situ caries study on the interplay between fluoride dose and concentration in milk. J Dent. 2014 Jul;42(7):883-90.
- Steele JL, Martinez-Mier EA, Sanders BJ, Jones JE, Jackson RD, Soto-Rojas AE,Â Tomlin AM, Eckert GJ. Fluoride content of infant foods. Gen Dent. 2014 Mar-Apr;62(2):72-4.
- Newby EE, Martinez-Mier EA, Zero DT, Kelly SA, Fleming N, North M, Bosma ML. A randomised clinical study to evaluate the effect of brushing duration on fluoride levels in dental biofilm fluid and saliva in children aged 4-5 years. Int Dent J. 2013 Dec;63(Suppl 2):39-47.
- Newby EE, Martinez-Mier EA, Hara A, Lippert F, Kelly SA, Fleming N, Butler A, Bosma ML, Zero DT. A randomised clinical study to evaluate experimental children's toothpastes in an in-situ palatal caries model in children aged 11-14 years. Int Dent J. 2013 Dec;(63 Suppl 2):31-8.
- Lippert F, Hara AT, Martinez-Mier EA, Zero DT. In vitro caries lesion rehardening and enamel fluoride uptake from fluoride varnishes as a function of application mode. Am J Dent. 2013 Apr;26(2):81-5.
- Martinez-Mier EA, Soto-Rojas AE, Buckley C, Weitz A, Villa A, Zero DT. Fluoride content in plaque solids and fluid after ingestion of fluoridated milk. J Oral Sci. 2013 Sep;55(3):233-8.
- Maupome G, Martinez-Mier EA, Holt A, Medina-SolÃs CE, Mantilla-RodrÃguez A, Carlton B. The association between geographical factors and dental caries in a rural area in Mexico. Cad Saude Publica. 2013 Jul;29(7):1407-14.
- de Sousa Furtado GE, de Sousa MLR, de Sousa BT, Seichi Wada R, Martinez-Mier EA, LeitÃ£o de Almeida ME. Perceptions of dental fluorosis and evaluation of agreement between parents and children: validation of a questionnaire Cad Saude Publica. 2012 Ago;28(8):1493-505.
- Pretty IA, McGrady M, Zakian C, Ellwood RP, Taylor A, Sharif MO, Iafolla T, Martinez-Mier EA, Srisilapanan P, Korwanich N, Goodwin M, Dye BA. Quantitative Light Fluorescense (QLF) and Polarized White Light (PWL) assessments of dental fluorosis in an epidemiological setting. BMC Public Health. 2012 May 20;12(1):366-71.
- Lippert F, Martinez-Mier EA, Soto-Rojas AE. Effects of fluoride concentration and temperature of milk on caries lesion rehardening. J Dent. 2012 Oct;40(10):810-3.
- Soto-Rojas AE, EscoffiÃ©-RamÃrez M, PÃ©rez-Ferrera G, Guido JA, Mantilla-Rodriguez AA, Martinez-Mier EA. Retention of dental sealants placed on sound teeth and incipient caries lesions as part of a service-learning programme in rural areas in Mexico. Int J Paediatr Dent. 2012 Nov;22(6):451-8.
- Casanova-Rosado AJ, Medina-SolÃs CE, Casanova-Rosado JF, Vallejos-SÃ¡nchez AA, Martinez-Mier EA, Loyola-RodrÃguez JP, Islas-MÃ¡rquez AJ, MaupomÃ© G. Association between developmental enamel defects in the primary and permanent dentitions. Eur J Paediatr Dent. 2011 Sep;12(3):155-8.
- Guido JA, Martinez-Mier EA, Soto A, Eggertsson H, Sanders BJ, Jones JE, Weddell JA, Villanueva Cruz I, Anton de la Concha JL. Caries prevalence and its association with brushing habits, water availability, and the intake of sugared beverages. Int J Paediatr Dent. 2011 21:432â40.
- Yan D, Willett TL, Gu XM, Martinez-Mier EA, Sardone L, McShane L, Grynpas M, Everett ET. Phenotypic variation of fluoride responses between inbred strains of mice. Cells Tissues Organs. 2011 194(2-4):261-7.
- Martinez-Mier EA, Soto-Rojas AE, Stelzner SM, Lorant DE, Riner ME, Yoder KM. An international, multidisciplinary, service-learning program: an option in the dental school curriculum. Educ Health (Abingdon). 2011 Apr;24(1):259. Epub 2011 Apr 2.
- Steinmetz JE, Martinez-Mier EA, Jones JE, Sanders BJ, Weddell JA, Soto-Rojas AE, Tomlin AM, Eckert GJ. Fluoride content of water used to reconstitute infant formula. Clin Pediatr (Phila). 2011 Feb;50(2):100-5.
- de Sousa Furtado GE, de Sousa MLR, Martinez-Mier EA, da Silva DD, Deschamps N, LeitÃ£o de Almeida ME. Translation and cross-cultural adaptation to Brazilian culture of a questionnaire to measure perceptions of dental aesthetics. RBPS, Fortaleza. 2010 23(4);316-24.
- Martinez-Mier EA, Cury JA, Heilman JR, Katz BP, Levy SM, Li Y, Maguire A, Margineda J, OâMullane D, Phantumvanit P, Soto-Rojas AE, Stookey GK, Villa A., Wefel JS, Whelton H, Whitford GM, Zero DT, Zhang W, Zohouri V. Development of gold standard ion-selective electrode-based methods for fluoride analysis. Caries Res. 2010 Dec 11;45(1):3-12.
- Martinez-Mier EA, Cury JA, Heilman JR, Katz BP, Levy SM, Li Y, Maguire A, Margineda J, OâMullane D, Phantumvanit P, Soto-Rojas AE, Stookey GK, Villa A., Wefel JS, Whelton H, Whitford GM, Zero DT, Zhang W, Zohouri V. Development of gold standard ion-selective electrode-based methods for fluoride analysis- Online Supplement. Caries Res. 2010 Dec 11;45(1 Sup):1-13.
- Martinez-Mier EA, Soto-Rojas AE. Differences in exposure and biological markers of fluoride among White and African American children. J Public Health Dent 2010 Summer;70(3):234-40.
- Zero DT, Creeth JE, Bosma ML, Butler A, Guibert RG, Karwal R, Lynch RJ, Martinez-Mier EA, GonzÃ¡lez-Cabezas C, Kelly SA. The effect of brushing time and dentifrice quantity on fluoride delivery in vivo and enamel surface microhardness in situ. Caries Res. 2010 44(2):90-100.
- Martinez-Mier EA, Soto-Rojas AE, Margineda J, Zero DT. Evaluation of the direct and diffusion methods for the determination of fluoride content in table salt.Â Community Dent Health. 2009 Dec;26(4):204-10.
- Pereira AC, Eggertsson H, Martinez-Mier EA, Mialhe FL, Eckert GJ, Zero DT. Validity of caries detection on occlusal surfaces and treatment decisions basedon results from multiple caries-detection methods. Eur J Oral Sci. 2009 Feb;117(1):51-7.
- Martinez-Mier EA, Kelly SA, Eckert GJ, Jackson RD. Comparison of a dietary survey and the duplicate plate method for determining dietary fluoride ingested by young children: a pilot study. Int J Paediatr Dent. 2009 Mar;19(2):99-107.
- Everett ET, Yan D, Weaver M, Liu L, Foroud T, Martinez-Mier EA. Detection of dental fluorosis-associated quantitative trait Loci on mouse chromosomes 2 and 11. Cells Tissues Organs. 2009 189(1-4):212-8.
- Cook SL, Martinez-Mier EA, Dean JA, Weddell JA, Sanders BJ, Eggertsson H, Ofner S, Yoder KM. Dental Caries Experience and Association to Risk Indicators of Remote Rural Populations. Int J Paediatr Dent. 2008 Jul;18(4):275-83.
- Soto-Rojas AE, Martinez-Mier EA, UreÃ±a-Cirett JL, Jackson RD, Stookey GK. Development of a Standardization Device for Photographic Assessment of Dental Fluorosis in Field Studies Oral Health Prev Dent. 2008 6(1):29-36.
- Maupome G, Soto-Rojas AE, Irigoyen-Camacho ME, Martinez-Mier EA, Borges-Yanez SA. PrevenciÃ³n De La Caries: Recomendaciones Actualizadas y Estatus del Conocimiento Directamente Aplicable Al Entorno Mexicano. [Caries Prevention: Current Recommendations and State Of The Art of the Knowledge Directly Relevant To The Mexican Setting] Revista ADM 2007 64 (2): 68-79
- Maupome G, Soto-Rojas AE, Borges-Yanez SA, Irigoyen-Camacho ME, Martinez-Mier EA. PrevenciÃ³n En Salud Periodontal: Recomendaciones Actualizadas y Estatus del Conocimiento Directamente Aplicable al Entorno Mexicano. [Periodontal Disease Prevention: Current Recommendations and State of The Art of the Knowledge Directly relevant to the Mexican Setting] Revista ADM 2007 64 (1): 25-33
- Kubota K, Lee DH, Everett ET, Martinez-Mier EA, Snead ML, Nguyen L, Urano F, Bartlett JD. Fluoride Induces ER Stress in Ameloblast Cells that are Responsible for Dental Enamel Formation. J Biol Chem. 2005 Jun 17;280(24):23194-202.
- Martinez-Mier EA, Soto-Rojas AE, Buckley CM, Margineda J, Zero DT. Fluoride Concentration of Bottled Water, Tap Water, and Fluoridated Salt from Two Communities in Mexico. Int Dent J. 2005 Apr;55(2):93-9.
- Franco AM, Martignon S, Saldarriaga A, GonzÃ¡lez MC, ArbelÃ¡ezÂ MI, Ocampo A, Luna LM, Martinez-Mier EA, Villa AE.Â Total Fluoride Intake in 22-35 Months Old Children in Four Colombian Cities. Community Dent Oral EpidemiolÂ 2005 33:1-8
- Martinez-Mier EA; MaupomÃ© G, Soto-Rojas AE, UreÃ±a-Cirett JL; Katz B, Stookey GK: Development of a questionnaire to measure perceptions of, and concerns derived from, dental fluorosis. Community Dent Health 2004 21(3):299-305.
- Martinez-Mier EA, Soto-Rojas AE, Buckley CM, Margineda J, Stookey GK, Zero DT.Â Evaluation of Fluoride Content in Mexican SaltÂ Salud Publica 2004 46(3):197-198.
- Martinez-Mier, EA; Soto-Rojas, AE; Urena-Cirett, JL; Katz, BJ; Stookey, GK; Dunipace, AJ: Dental Fluorosis and Altitude: a Pilot Study. Oral Health Prev Dent 2004 2(1):39-48.
- Soto-Rojas, AE; Martinez-Mier, EA; UreÃ±a-Cirett, JL. Prevalence of Dental Fluorosis in Mexico. Pan Am J Pub Health 2004 15(1):9-18.
- Martinez-Mier EA, Soto-Rojas AE, UreÃ±a-Cirett JL, Stookey GK, Dunipace AJ. Fluoride Intake from Foods, Beverages and dentifrice by Children in Mexico. Community Dent Oral Epidemiol. 2003 Jun;31(3):221-30.
- Everett ET, McHenry MAK, Reynolds N, Eggertsson H, Sullivan J, Kantmann C, Martinez-Mier EA, Warrick JM, Stookey GK. Dental Fluorosis: Variability Among Different Inbred Mouse Strains. J Dental Research 2002 81:794-98.
- MartÃnez Mier G, Ãlvarez Tostado JF, Romero HernÃ¡ndez T, Martinez-Mier EA. Blanco Benavides R. La morbi-mortalidad en la cirugÃa por cÃ¡ncer gÃ¡strico. Rev Gastrol Mex. 1999 78:349-35.
- Eggertsson H, Ferreira-ZandonÃ¡ AG, Ando M, GonzÃ¡lez-Cabezas C, Fontana M, Martinez-Mier EA, Waskow-Chin JR, Jackson RD, Eckert GJ, Stookey GK, Zero DT: Reproducibility of in vitro and clinical examinations with QLF (Quantitative Light-induced Fluorescence).Â Developing guidelines for imaging and analyzing QLF- images, and a process for training examiners. In: Stookey GK, ed. Early detection of dental caries III: proceedings of the 6th annual Indiana Conference. Indianapolis, Indiana: Indiana University School of Dentistry 2003 213-228.
- Martinez-Mier EA, Zandona AF. The impact of gender on caries prevalence and risk assessment. Dent Clin North Am. 2013 Apr;57(2):301-15.
- Martinez-Mier EA, Soto Rojas A, UreÃ±a Cirett JL.Â La determinaciÃ³n de riesgo a caries; revisiÃ³n y sugerencias clÃnicas. Rev AMOP. 2012 24(2):73-84
- Martinez-Mier EA. Fluoride: Its Metabolism, Toxicity, and Role in Dental Health.Â J Evid-Based Comp Alt Med. 2012 17:28-32.
- Martinez-Mier EA. Fluoride-containing orthodontic adhesives may reduce the occurrence of enamel demineralization in patients with fixed orthodontic appliances. J Evid Based Dent Pract. 2011 Sep;11(3):132-4.
- Martinez-Mier EA. Casein phosphopeptide used in toothpaste suggests an efficacy similar to toothpaste containing sodium monofluorophosphate for caries prevention. J Evid Based Dent Pract. 2010 Sep;10(3):154-5.
- Zero DT, Fontana M, Martinez-Mier EA, Ferreira-ZandonÃ¡ A, Ando M, GonzÃ¡lez-Cabezas C, Bayne S. The biology, prevention, diagnosis and treatment of dental caries: scientific advances in the United States. J Am Dent Assoc. 2009 Sep;140 Suppl 1:25S-34S.
- Martinez-Mier EA. Fluoride varnish applications may reduce the formation of white spot lesions (WSL) adjacent to orthodontic fixed appliances. J Evid Based Dent Pract. 2009 Mar;9(1):16-7.
Letters to the Editor
- Soto-Rojas AE, Martinez-Mier EA. Conceptual and analytic issues surrounding a report on domestic salt fluoridation in Mexico. J Public Health Dent. 2009 Spring;69(2):63.
Dr. MartÃnez Mier's research has been funded by grants from the National Institute of Dental and Craniofacial Research, the National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences,Â Clarian Health, Delta Dental Insurance, the Borrow Foundation and the West Foundation. Her research projects have received multiple awards. Her research interests are mainly in two areas:Â fluoridesÂ andÂ cross-cultural health. In the area of fluorides, she is particularly interested in refining analytical methodologies to accurately determine fluoride presence and in the assessment of fluoride intake and exposure through biomarkers. She is also interested in developing methodologies to diagnose dental fluorosis through clinical, photographic and digital imaging evaluations, including dental fluorosis and incipient caries differential diagnosis and in better defining the mechanisms by which fluoride affects the development of dental and skeletal fluorosis, including genetic and environmental factors. Dr. MartÃnez Mier is engaged in community-based research in the area of cross-cultural and binational (US and Mexico) health designed to address and identify disparities in dental caries and dental fluorosis in Latino/Hispanic patients.Â
Dr. MartÃnez Mierâs professional service activities are an integral part of her career. She has constantly sought to develop academic work that simultaneously meets her educational and research goals as well as community needs. She has been a mentor and health care provider in service-learning projects since 2001. Her service activities clearly overlap with her teaching responsibilities. She has obtained numerous service-learning grants to fund both the service and educational components of her projects and along with teams of faculty members and students she actively seeksÂ donations and major giftsÂ for her service-learning projects.