Indiana University School of Dentistry (IUSD) Timeline *


1940 - 1949

YearEvents
1940


Dr. William H. Crawford is appointed Dean.

WmCrawford_small.jpg


Department of Oral Diagnosis is created under the direction of Dr. Claude R. Baker.


Dr. Ralph Phillips helps to establish the Department of Dental  Materials laboratory. 


Department of Periodontia is established and headed by Dr. H. B. Morrow.

1941


Dr. Thomas D. Speidel is appointed first full-time professor of orthodontia 


College of Arts and Sciences joins with IUSD in offering a course of study which leads to an A.B. or B.S. degree and the D.D.S. degree in seven years.


Regional section of International Association for Dental Research is organized in Indianapolis.

1942


Indiana University's Graduate School offers courses leading to the degree of Master of Science in Oral Pathology and Orthodontia.


Dental Clinic in Riley Hospital for Children is established.


Dental School accelerates its program to aid in the War effort. A three-semester academic year begins. Two classes graduate this year - one in May and another in December.

1943


The Department of Instruments and Supplies is created

1944


Dr. Maynard K. Hine is appointed professor of periodontia and histopathology.

Copy_of_Hine2_small.jpg

1945


Dean Crawford resigns to become dean of the University of Minnesota School of Dentistry


Dental Practice Act is amended to permit dental hygienists to practice in Indiana.

Dr. Maynard K. Hine is named Dean.

Hine_small2.jpg


Department of Dental Illustrations is established under the direction of Mr. Richard C. Scott. 

1946


Dr. Ralph E. McDonald is appointed professor of pedodontics.

Copy_of_Mcdonald_small.jpg

1947


Dr. Morris Stoner earns the School's first Master of Science in Dentistry (M.S.D.) degree (orthodontia).

1948


A remodeling project gets under way at IUSD: excavation of a basement for locker rooms and library stacks, moving of library to the first floor, construction of postgraduate clinic on the third floor and installation of elevator

1949


Tissue diagnostic service is established by Department of Oral Pathology.

            *Source: IndianaUniversity School of Dentistry Alumni Bulletin, v. 10 no. 4, Spring 1996

[Back to IUSD 1925-1939]    [Back to Special Collections]    [Next to IUSD 1950-1959]