Indiana University School of Dentistry (IUSD) Timeline *


1950 - 1959

YearEvents
1950


A new program for training dental hygienists is established under direction of Miss A. Rebekah Fisk.

RFisk_small.jpg

1951


Dr. Joseph C. Muhler (1948 alum) and Dr. Harry G. Day report results of research on stannous fluoride as a tooth decay preventive.

JMuhler_small.jpg

1952


Members of the first class of the IUSD Dental Hygiene program graduate.

Hyg52_small1.jpg

1954

Television is first used as a teaching tool at IUSD.

TV6_small.jpg

Copy_of_TV2.jpg

1955


In 1951 Dr. Joseph C. Muhler (1948 IUSD alum),along with Dr. Harry G. Day and William Nebergall reported results of research on stannous fluoride as a tooth decay preventive. This research leads to the development and introduction of Crest®Toothpaste.

1958


The Indiana Dental Association celebrates its 100th birthday.**


A chapter of Sigma Phi Alpha, the dental hygienist honorary society, is formed at IUSD.


A federal grant is obtained for training in Dental Auxiliary Utilization


Faculty member William Shafer serves as senior author on the first edition of A Textbook of Oral Pathology

WmShafer1_small.jpg

1959


Division of Allied Health Sciences is created by the Board of Trustees of Indiana University.(This leads to a B.S. degree program in Public Health Dental Hygiene).


Dean Maynard K. Hine establishes the Department of Preventive Dentistry chaired by Dr. Joseph C. Muhler.

Hine_small.jpg


The new Basic Science Building serves freshmen students in medicine and dentistry in Indianapolis.


IUSD is one of six dental schools that successfully compete for a federal grant to employ 15 chairside assistants - and  Dental Auxiliary Utilization Program begins.

            *Source: IndianaUniversity School of Dentistry Alumni Bulletin, v. 10 no. 4, Spring 1996

          ** Source: Indiana University School of Dentistry Alumni Bulletin, v. 14no. 1, 2000

[Back to IUSD 1940-1949]    [Back to Special Collections]    [Next to IUSD 1960-1969]