Indiana University School of Dentistry (IUSD) Timeline *


1925 - 1939

YearEvents
1925


Indiana University assumes ownership of the Indiana Dental College after the Legislature authorizes its purchase for $35,000.


This year's graduates are awarded diplomas from Indiana University School of Dentistry.

Dr. John Hurty dies.

Copy_of_JohnHurty_small.jpg

1926


One year pre-dental education is required for admittance.

1927


Mrs. Mabel Walker is the Indiana University School of Dentistry's first librarian.

Copy_of_Mabel_small.jpg

1930


According to the school Bulletin: "The cost of a year at college is thus shown to vary greatly with the student's manner of living. ... Probably most students spend (exclusion of railroad fare and clothing) from $400 to $550 a year."

1933



The School moves into its new (and present) location at  
1121 West Michigan Street.  

Copy_of_1933loc_small.jpg

1934


Omicron Kappa Upsilon (national dental honorary society) forms the Theta Theta chapter at Indiana University School of Dentistry (IUSD).

1935


U.S. Public Health Service designates Indiana University as a research center for the study of dental diseases of children. The federal government equips a children's clinic with 15 modern dental units.

1936

Children's clinic is established as a separate clinical unit under the direction of Dr. Drexell Boyd (1934 alum).


Copy_of_DBoyd1_small2.jpg

1937


Under a newly formulated plan, two years of pre-dental work must be completed before applicants are eligible to begin their four-year course for DDS.

1938

Dean Henshaw dies, and Dr. Gerald D. Timmons becomes Acting Dean.

Copy_of_GTimmons_small1.jpg


The first issue of IUSD Alumni Bulletin is published. Dr. J. L. Wilson is editor.

1939


A laboratory for bacteriology and pathology research is established.

            *Source: IndianaUniversity School of Dentistry Alumni Bulletin, v. 10 no. 4, Spring 1996

[Back to IDC 1915-1924]    [Back to Special Collections]    [Next to IUSD 1940-1949]