Guidelines for Scheduling and Hosting Seal Indiana
• Talk with the SEAL INDIANA (SI) program manager, who will suggest available dates
for a school visit.
• Determine best date (or dates) with school principal/teachers or other administrators.
• Schedule date/s with SEAL INDIANA program manager.
• Provide information on school enrollment, hours of operation, and location inside school to set up
a temporary dental clinic. Seal Indiana will ship the requested number of parental consents, with
confirmation of the date/s of visit, and email publicity for area papers and/or school website.
• Distribute SEAL INDIANA parental consents to each child and request a timely return by parents.
Ideally, distribution should occur 4-6 weeks before the visit.
• Collect the consents and organize by classroom for ease in serving children during the SEAL
INDIANA visit. Program manager will call you for numbers approximately 10 days before visit.
• On the day of the visit, give parental consents to SEAL INDIANA site coordinator, who will
organize all paperwork for the dental team.
• Provide a brief orientation to the school for the IUSD dental students so they will have a better
understanding of the children they will be serving. The students will have already researched
demographics about your area.
• If possible—or with assistance of a school volunteer—escort younger children to and from their
classrooms. Young children should wear a nametag to assure proper identification by the school
volunteer and SEAL INDIANA staff and students.
• Upon completion of treatment, each child will receive a “dental report card” for their
parent/guardian. A copy of all reports will be provided for the school at the end of the visit.
• Following the SEAL INDIANA visit, you will receive a summary from SEAL INDIANA,
with information on the number of children examined, sealants placed, fluoride varnish treatments,
children with untreated dental decay, and the value of services provided under grants.
You will also be asked to evaluate the services of SEAL INDIANA and schedule a return visit.